Skip to main content

Reply to "Outfield numbers"

I don't post much anymore, but your questions intrigued me because the answers offer a chance for those early in the process to learn some important points about college recruiting.

quote:
Early in the process, but worried about what appears to be a limited number of spots.

Most don't learn, realize, or appreciate that point until much later in the recruiting process.

quote:
And can coaches or parents of college players help with how rosters are filled out?

No, another significant point that most of those in the early point of the recruiting process will need to learn.

Your college coaches are entirely responsible for their baseball programs.

As a parent, you can control whether your son attends, or continues to attend a school, but that is about it.

quote:
Maybe it's just the schools I have recently looked at, but the rosters typically show 3-4 outfielder-only players. Is this the case and what is the philosophy in recruiting outfielders?

Colleges recruit pitchers first, then the "up the middle" players, catchers, SS, and CF, then the corners.

They recruit the best athletes that they can, typically a high school shortstop.

That high school shortstop might become a CF (maybe RF, or LF) early in his collegiate career, a shortstop, or, second baseman later.

So, a good high school shortstop might play some OF as a freshman, and, sophomore, while making the transition to the collegiate infield.

Notice that I did not include 2B in the recruiting list.

They will recruit a pure CF with outstanding speed, hitting ability, and a strong arm.

Freshmen and sophomores can crack the lineup by hitting well and playing in the outfield defensively.

So, that is why you see the low number of outfielders on college rosters.
Last edited by FormerObserver