Skip to main content

Reply to "Outfield numbers"

Hey, thanks for the insight and thoughts. Good stuff. Let me clarify a point FormerObserver raised. When I asked if coaches or parents of college players could help with how rosters are filled out, I meant could they help explain it to me based on their experience. Obviously I know parents aren't filling out rosters.

Makes sense that incoming freshmen aren't yet showing up on rosters, so maybe that's why I only see, 3, 4 or whatever. I'm looking at D2 programs. Does that make a difference? And should I assume the pecking order for recruits - "up the middle players'' - is the same regardless of division?

Also, a couple quick follow ups. At what point in the high school career should a player start reaching out or making contact with college programs?

Finally, where can you get the better bang for your buck - a Perfect Game showcase or maybe 4-5 college camps/showcases? Keep in mind, this isn't a top D1 or pro prospect. My initial reaction is that a staff gets to know a kid and evaluate him a lot closer in the campus setting.