Skip to main content

Reply to "Outfield numbers"

Things can change from year to year at any school. When my son was a freshmen, his DII school had nine outfielders and he was the only freshman, so he was redshirted. Last year the DH was moved to outfield to accommodate a new DH type who could really hit and had been drafted out of high school. So for the other two outfield positions there were 4 seniors, one a two time all conference centerfielder, a junior, a junior pitcher who also played outfield, a sophomore and my son a redshirt freshman as well as three true freshman who were all redshirted. Now things have changed as the seniors have graduated, the two juniors have left the school, and there should a couple of outfield positions up for grabs. Of course, there will probably be a couple of Juco outfielders brought in also. Truthfully, I could have done my homework better on what my son's team had coming back for his first two years but the redshirt year the first year was not an all bad thing actually. But last year he got into 32 games as a part timer and he expects to have a good shot at being a starter this year. So this is the type of stuff you need to look at. Remember, as others have said, the roster position doesn't always tell you everything about where guys will play during there early college years.