Skip to main content

Reply to "outfield velocity"

Hitting is a great tool, but harder for coaches to judge, when they've only seen a player a couple of times. A great hitter can have a bad day and ground out weakly multiple times, but a fast runner is always fast, and a strong arm is always a strong arm (as long as it's healthy).

Special jr. went to two different school camps on successive weekends. He sucked at both camps in first round of BP. Second round, he hit one out about 375', then hit a couple of fences to Right center and Left Center with liners at one camp, while at the others he struggled to hit singles. Both coaches had only seen him at a HF camp, and maybe on some video.

Guess which school offered him on the spot? Not a trick question... it was the first one where he hit a bomb.

My point is that that he was the same hitter, but just had a good day at one school, and a bad day at another. His arm and speed is never so finicky, and in any event, coaches will accept  velo's if they are available online from a respected source like PBR, PG, or some camps. Hitting is harder to judge. Exit velos tell some of the story for a hitter, but don't tell you anything about a hitter's ability to square up a pitched ball(exit velos are taken from tees), strike zone judgement, etc.. 

Not trying to be argumentative. Just my experience has been that having speed and a strong arm opens up a lot of doors for a player. If you throw 80 MPH and run a 7.4...then you better be one hell of a hitter! I agree that  those numbers don't always tell the correct story. I've known guys who are fast and with great arms that can't catch a ball, throw accurately, or make sound decisions on the field. I also know kids who get exit velos in the high 80's/90's that can't hit consistently well.