Skip to main content

Reply to "Over Analyzing Baseball"

Originally Posted by infielddad:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by justbaseball:

Well, I think we've got a $hit-stirrer here, but I do agree with one point:

…every joe shmo can be an analyst...

Yup, too many 'Joe Shmos' out there blogging away who don't have a clue.  Some of them are wielding saber-metrics (and giving it a bad name IMO) and too many of those aren't accounting for the grinders that can make the game great.

I really don't care what anyone says about this - there is such a thing as "heart" and there are players who have way more of it than others.  Sabre-metrics or not, I'll take 'em on my team.  They know how to win baseball games.

I'll suggest that heart does show up in sabre-metrics.  The guys with heart, work hard and get results.  They may not be showy or have the "body" but they are effective and the numbers prove it. 

I certainly could be wrong, and don't mean to speak for justbaseball, but my perspective is that player with heart, the grinder, the one who outworks everyone, i.e., the leader, is more valuable in the context that he makes others better around him.

This probably isn't your intention, but there's an implicit assumption in this sort of statement that the guy with the superior talent is somehow less of a hard worker, which is rarely the case.