Skip to main content

Reply to "Over Analyzing Baseball"

You can't take technology out of anything.  It is the reason we have safer helmets and better equipment.  It provides us with valuable information right at our finger tips.  

At some point we will have every variable covered.  I know there is something to be said regarding keeping things simple.  The problem is things aren't simple.

Umpiring is changing.  We partnered with MLB Umpiring Association to find the best candidates.  Just a couple weeks ago they did a camp in Georgia.  They have decided to scout for umpires just like clubs scout for players.  It might take quite awhile, but I think we will see improvement in umpiring at all levels.  To me the most obvious improvement needs to be calling pitches.  In fact, technology has shown us just how bad some of the calls are. I know how difficult it is to call balls and strikes, but it would be better if it were improved.  I actually think there are some amateur umpires that are better than the professionals at calling balls and strikes.

I have never understood why one umpire would have a different strike zone than another umpire.  Right now we have balls called strikes and strikes called balls.  Sometimes it gets ridiculous how bad the calls are. Technology is putting it on display.  Umpires are no different than players, some are much better than others.  The good ones deserve a lot of respect.  All that said, I would hate to be an umpire.