Skip to main content

Reply to "Over Analyzing Baseball"

During my 17 years operating the Area Code games, traveling to the tryouts, several players emerged during the 6 days in Long Beach. I personally visited each teams dugout talked with the scouts who coached the teams and the scouts who watched the games. A few players exhibited the 6th tool.

Bobby Bradley RHP from Florida was one of my favorites. He called me from Florida 2 months before the games. He said "how do I get in the games". Learned later that he was 6'0 and weight 160 lbs. He said "I have the best curve ball in America".

I placed Bobby on the same team with Josh Beckett and told Bobby he would pitch behind Beckett on Friday night at Blair Field.

Beckett and his personal catcher toured the talk show in Southern California. On Friday night Beckett reach 97 mph in his three innings then departed with his personal catcher, the catcher's father for dinner.

Now Bobby Bradley is pitching his three inning. His 1st pitch starts at the batter's head and finished at the knees. 300 scouts said the same name "Bert Blyleven".

That night "back to back" 1st round drafts. How do you measure the 6th tool.

"Inner arrogance" is a factor.

Bob

Last edited by Consultant