Skip to main content

Reply to "Over recruiting - beware"

I think you can research this issue to death and end up no better off in the end. You have to pick the school based on your criteria and go for it. There is no way you can predetermine the playing time you will get because there are just too many factors to consider. It is up to the player to get out there and do the best he can on and off the field.
One thing I think that would help is that the players were made aware of the issues before they arrive at the weigh-in. Most HS kids are pumped by the fact that they got a scholarship and got accepted by a school and don't realize that they have to compete to make the team, the roster and the 25 man travel roster. My son was shocked at the number of guys who showed up. We didn't have a clue about these issues.
I can completely understand why a coaching staff would have to do this. At the end of the Freshman year the coach will have a talk with you and then the question my son asked was wether the coach sees him in their plans for next year. If their confidence level in you is low then you have a decsion to make.