Skip to main content

Reply to "Over recruiting - beware"

quote:
Originally posted by TRhit:
a) he was one of the 32 man squad--there was a uniform with his name and number on it
b) he has to earn the right to start
c) he had to earn the right to travle with the team---the entire squad did not travel

Always remember that there are no givens in this game

I have to agree with the above. We all have to remember that in the end, we end up paying a lot of money for our kids to go to school, one way or the other, scholarship or no scholarship. If mine is going to go play somewhere based on baseball (which IS a large part of the fit) I want mine in a uniform, regardless of start, sub or redshirt, I want him to be a part of the team. TR is right about the travel roster, it changes all of the time. In the end the 25 man post season is what is important and a player has all season to earn that right to be named to that roster.
I know it's not done this way at many schools, but then he has a choice not to attend, if baseball is a prime consideration of where you attend.

NCAA D1 schools are required to hold open tryouts. They have no control over who shows up. Invited walkons, large recruiting class is another issue. Many schools publish fall/spring rosters, but I would certainly feel uneasy if they were not in line with each other. 48 fall roster, 35 spring doesn't make me feel that coach has done his job, but that is JMO.

Recruiting is a business, some are very good at it and others are not.