Skip to main content

Reply to "Over recruiting D3"

Agree with the sentiment that you should try to coordinate one trip with multiple visits to as many schools as possible to gauge the team and true level of interest.  With my 2017, we planned a visit to the Pacific NW over the Columbus Day weekend to visit four schools that showed sincere interest after the Summer showcases.  It meant a late Thursday flight up, then a missed day of school Friday to visit the school that seemed the best match, and then long drives to other schools to do coach visits Saturday, Sunday and Monday (no school missed since it was a Holiday) before flying home.  Lots of rental car miles (and an unfortunate speeding ticket for me!) and a one way drop charge but we made it to all four schools. 

My son had already had a text relationship with these coaches so he coordinated with all of them.  Most were pretty flexible as to meeting times and what could be accomplished.  Certainly a tour of the baseball and workout facilities, meeting other players, and walking around the campuses were part of every visit.  And each time I got to meet the coach at the end for the discussion about playing opportunities, where they saw him fit (he was a two-way C/RHP), and a chance for them to hear my concerns about finances being a big part of the final decision.  My son and I agreed that there was no "perfect" match so we told each coach there would be no ED application (which all of them mentioned).

The cost was not insignificant, but we viewed it as essential to making the right decision.  As the old commercial, spend the money now or you will spend more later if he regrets the school and has to transfer.  We did the more local college visits after this trip, which were easier to squeeze around regular school weeks.

Your son's situation sounds similar with all of the things on his plate with test prep, still playing baseball, etc.  Look at it as a great opportunity for him to prepare for the even more extensive time demands in college baseball.  Time management is a critical skill if he wants to play college baseball, so he can evaluate all of the challenges now and decide if he is up for playing college baseball.

Good luck.