Skip to main content

Reply to "over training for elite programs"

quote:
Originally posted by ctandc:
Any college / pro scout or coach will quickly tell you how much they like baseball players that also play other sports. Makes a better all around athlete. It's getting harder and harder to do, even at the HS age.

I do not believe this to be true, it sound good though, especially if you are from up north where baseball fields become frozen tundra.

Boy, this is interesting timing.
My wife and I are taking a "Baseball 101" continuing education course at Stanford.
Last night the speaker was JT Snow. We listened to a 2 hour Q&A last night.
His comments on this issue were pointed and were similar to the thoughts of ctandc.
Snow said that when he graduated HS after being a 3 sport athlete, the only school which offered him a spot was UofA, then coached by Jerry Kindall.
At that point, according to Snow, Kindall's focus was on recruiting multi-sport athletes.
The idea behind it was top multi-sport athletes would have a a bigger upside when they began to focus only on baseball in college.
While acknowledging that his 13 year old son is already being pulled different directions to specialize in only one sport, Snow was adamant in the view that specializing at ages 13-17, and especially before those, isn't needed to have great baseball success beyond HS.
Last edited by infielddad