Skip to main content

Reply to "over training for elite programs"

At our very small high school in Ohio, there's been somewhat of a tug-of-war going on with athletes between the different sports. I know this happened with my older son before he graduated. He was a good athlete and I suggested to a couple of coaches over a beer after a football game that they may not want to "make" him choose his sports, because he may not choose "their" sport.
Since we are so small, its nearly impossible to have all athletes specialize in one sport...we need to multiple-sport athletes in order to field the teams! However, I, as a parent, am very frustrated with the coaches putting on a guilt trip if the kid decides to not play a particular sport that year.

My other son, now a junior, was in tears...really...when he told us he didn't want to play basketball this year. He was afraid that we were disappointed in him. Really? I couldn't have been more proud of him for making a decision that was right for him. And it was the right decision because it is paying off for him this spring.

However, one thing he won't do is give up football. He absolutely loves that game too!

BTW, the basketball coaches are still putting a little pressure on us...hoping that we can get him to play basketball next school year. Don't think its gonna happen. I'm afraid that too many bridges have been burned. There were some pretty hurtful comments made when he decided not to play.
Just makes him a stronger person in the end...I'm OK with that.
Last edited by cb12