Skip to main content

Reply to "over training for elite programs"

quote:
I have had a few players lately that are playing all summer, all fall, taking November off and then starting in December are working out about 4-5 days a week. Some are even being clocked with radar in January and early February. These kids spend so much time (and even more money) getting ready and then when they get to the season, they cannot play due to arm fatigue or inflammation.

Did anybody really address this part of the original post? I know being from PA (snowy - rainy- cold PA) I don't carry much juice on this site but you all have to agree that this is overdoing it a bit right? Do you believe in the concept of periodization? By that I am using the ASMI concept of cyclical training formulated so that the player reaches peak performance level in season. The player should not be performing at a "competitive (high)" level year round. There should be an off-season structured program geared towards conditioning, strength training and flexibility. The above description of the year in the life of a baseball player is unacceptable to me especially with youth players. I'm talking an eight week minimum here with 12 weeks a possibility. And this is where another sport, can be beneficial in the long run both physically and mentally. Now if you want to sort out the men from the boys as quick as possible, then go ahead and play and practice competitive year round and you'll find out who's going to cut it. The rest are just victim's of friendly fire I guess.