Skip to main content

Reply to "Over use of young pitchers fueling Tommy John surgery"

Parents should educate themselves--this site is a great start--about the dangers of playing any sport year-round.  I'm not sure I'm following you on the "so often 'hyped' (including on this site)" line though.  Although I don't post often, I have viewed just about every message thread several times daily since I joined this site last year (yes, I probably need a 12-step support group).

While there are several organizations that tout their showcases and programs, I can't remember any of them stating players should play year-round.  Parents and older players need to manage their playing "workloads" and plan their own off season periods.  If that means they can't make specific showcases or fall leagues, then so be it.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that my son would not have garnered attention as early as he did without some of those showcases.  I would like to believe colleges and scouts would have found him eventually, but I know most of them started following him because they saw him in those events.

I'm not defending nor am I endorsing any specific event and I'm definitely NOT a proponent of year-round baseball (unless I'm watching it).  I'm simply saying these events have value for players looking to be considered at the next level.  Parents/players just need to decide which one offers the most benefit to them and adjust their pitching schedule to suit their needs.