Skip to main content

Reply to "Overated v. Underated players"

WillieBobo,
You make good points if you buy into the thought that "they should find me" mentality. I could be the best car salesman on my lot, in my city, and maybe even in my State. But, unless I go to the National car shows, strut my stuff, and "hobknob" with the big fish I will not be noticed for the "bigtime". Baseball, car sales, reality, or any other occupation that is result driven with a mutitude of candidates requires that an individual has to have a level of self promotion.
quote:
A kid like Shane Robinson should not have seen 165 players drafted before he was. The kid who hit 18 home runs in Pasco County got little to no mention.

Did Shane go out and compete in events that compared him to others that were drafted ahead of him? If he did, maybe those professionals that who judge talent did not see what you profess he has. If he did not make that effort in self promotion, he should look in the mirror on who is to blame.
quote:
If a talented kid does not pay the hypsters, he gets no notice. Scouts and recruiters have to get out and see the real world and not only the showcases

It's a big real world out there and not enough scouts to look in all the corners. As a business you try to run efficiently and that is done by consolidating your products, finding the worthy ones, and follow them. In baseball that consolidation is done through events. There are those who fall through cracks but with 50 rounds on a draft, and if they have game, they will be picked. Where you get picked depends on how you promote yourself.
quote:
How does a kid pitch two years in a row winning the highest level classification in the high school state championship not get noticed?

Maybe it's a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" issue or that player has not gone outside the box to prove himself.
quote:
The system is broken and baseball is suffering for it.

One small cog in the wheel says it's broke, the rest of the wheel thinks everything is fine and wheel still turns. Bottom line, if you want something bad enough you will work within the system and find a way to make it work for you.

Someday your issues may be addressed, but at this time the system is running smooth and the owners uses a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Baseball is played at a higher level from corner to corner of this country and is expanding outside the borders daily while scouting numbers have remained relatively constant. A player that wants to be noticed has to make the make that world initially smaller and that is done through the showcases and events.
Last edited by rz1