Skip to main content

Reply to "Overcoming adversity - losing streak"

You could almost be describing my son's former HS baseball team. On a good year they might be a tad north of .500, but usually play about .250. This year, with the departure of many talented seniors last year, looks to be particularly bad. The only place I could see it be excruciating is wasted pitching with 4+ out innings with errors. On the bright side, my son developed into a superb defensive catcher because 10+ bounced pitches per game was the norm, and some could have 20+. But it takes a toll.

It is a downer when a talented player seems to make little or no difference on a mediocre or worse team. It is what it is. As other have noticed, this means he'll get oodles of opportunities to shine. And in general, unless your son is fortunate enough to be in a power program, or one with an established track record of winning in competitive HS, a lousy HS team will have virtually no effect on his recruitment to collegiate baseball. Moreover, plenty of talented players on high-end teams will be on the outside looking if they can't get time on the field and ABs.