Skip to main content

Reply to "Overcoming adversity - losing streak"

tequila posted:

So my question about how to deal with this has two parts really:

1. What successful strategies has anyone had experience with from a team perspective?
  2. More selfishly; my son is a good player and in the process of working towards playing baseball in college. Being part of a losing high school team certainly doesn’t seem like it is making that any easier. As I’m sure it is in most states, the winning teams get more nominations for all-*whatever*, and rightly so, so there aren’t a lot of opportunities on his team to stand out in the bigger picture. Our best offensive producer is out for the season with an injury so my son is hitting in the three hole and probably leading, or right at the top of, several offensive stats so there may be a silver lining there though I'd certainly rather have our other player in the lineup. There also probably aren’t a lot of college coaches coming to our games unless we’re playing someone with potential recruits on their side. Now I know this isn’t where most of the recruiting happens but it is a point of frustration for us. I just encourage him to try to stay positive, focus on his leadership, continue to develop his skills, work hard on academics, and work in the gym, and everything else will take care of itself. I feel it’s all I can really do at this point

Tequila - Your son is doing the right things.  My oldest and middle son were on teams like this.  There school was known for football in our area (state champs many times over), but none the less they played high school baseball in the Spring and travel baseball in the Summer.  You can't count on high school baseball to be your exposure strategy.  I'd like to suggest Legion or a Travel baseball team that is successful in getting young men like your son recruited to the schools where he is the best fit.   You can also select individual showcases to get your son's talents in view of recruiters...there are many of those.   I think a common mistake in showcasing and recruiting is not knowing what you want, and how to get it.  In terms of showcase teams; there are name brand national teams, regional teams and local teams.   Each one of these has a different purpose, target and exposure strategy.  Choose your travel team on historical recruiting outcomes (travel coaches network) not based on a sales pitch.    To make a long story short, I know this because we initially selected the wrong travel team for what my oldest son wanted, but we didn't know any better and my son was unsure what he wanted to study when we started this journey.   It didn't hurt him in the long run, cost me a few more travel baseball dollars than I wanted to spend, spent more recruiting time than I wanted to spend, but we eventually got to his dream school.  Recruiting is like baseball, it is very situational.  If your son is not a blue chip recruit the best way to get attention is through a combination of baseball skills and great grades.  Please tell your son to keep up the good work in the classroom, gym,  and on the baseball field!

Last edited by fenwaysouth