Skip to main content

Reply to "Overcoming adversity - losing streak"

fenwaysouth posted:

Recruiting is like baseball, it is very situational.

This is so true and we've definitely learned that no two situations are ever alike! We've also gained a whole lot of patience over the last year about this process and gone from sort of panic-mode to a calculated approach and what happens will happen. Listening to the wrong advice can instill panic because, often times, folks are trying to sell you something.

My son is on a national name brand team in our area but not the "elite" squad, and I'm not really worried about that. They have some talent, play in a couple of good tournaments, and he enjoys his coaches and teammates. The organization also has a pretty successful track record for getting kids recruited but, in cases like ours, it takes some interaction from the parents in keeping the right people informed of performance highlights, etc. so that they can publish to their contacts and social media.

Between freshman and sophomore years, or maybe a little after, it became evident that the "dream school" was not going to align with his physical attributes and ability, and that's just fine. He got over the P5 D1-only mentality, that you see so often with younger players, and it has freed us up to focus on finding the right fit for him that hopefully combines baseball and academics, but where he would be good if baseball didn't work out. We haven't found it yet but we have a list and a plan that we're working though. This includes a mix of high school coach contacts, summer team exposure, small targeted school camps/visits, and one or two larger showcase events. I'm really starting to enjoy the process and sometimes wonder what the heck I'm going to do with my time when it's over. Perhaps the Mexico Tequila tour I've always wanted to do!