Skip to main content

Reply to "PA Threesome - Gettysburg, Dickinson, Franklin & Marshall"

My 2016 is a Freshman PO at Dickinson and we visited and he attended prospect camp at F&M the Fall of his Jr year.  We did not visit Gettysburg so can't offer much comparison wise there.  

Practices with the coaches just started this week and I have limited my questions to 2016 to general ones about school, how he's doing, etc.  I haven't asked how the first two days were practice wise.  I can tell you that it's an intense time commitment - fitness testing at 6:30am on Monday followed by full day of classes and then practice at 4:30pm that ended around 7.  That sounds like the schedule this week.  They have a scrimmage this Friday that I will get to see as I'm traveling for work and plan on routing myself that way on way home to see that and then take him to dinner.  

Dickinson and F&M are rivals and are usually tied in US News rankings of LA schools.  We got a different feel from the campuses - F&M felt very small and there was little going on around campus when we were there - a Sat in Oct shortly after a football game.  Dickinson seemed much larger to us with much more going on.  I'm probably off by a lot but the campus at Dickinson seemed triple the size of F&M which gave it a feel of being a larger school while it's really not that much bigger.  Most of the athletic facilities are new including a huge fitness center right on campus (which helped with the 6:30am workouts they started first day).  The baseball field is off campus with several other fields (soccer, softball and others) but it's not that far.  We've been there three times now and we've been more impressed with each visit.  

We sat down with the full coaching staff at our visit with son and asked questions at length after HC gave us his overview and outlined the "offer".  We stayed behind and talked to coach for much longer after son left with his host teammate.  We felt very comfortable with him and the assistants and he was very upfront and honest about the process and 2016's chances of contributing.  We were impressed with the equal focus on campus life and academics throughout the discussion with HC. 

Don't have much to offer program/competition wise yet as play has not started but it seems like F&M has been more competitive results wise over the years.  Dickinson had excellent non-conference results last year and then really fell off in conference play and did not make the playoffs.  They had 12 players graduate and brought in 13 recruits (and had 9 freshman trying to walk-on).  I believe they had a very strong freshman class last year and they are very happy with this large recruiting class starting in 2016 so we're hopeful for some good results moving forward.  At least that's my view from afar at this stage. 

If you have other questions let me know.