Skip to main content

Reply to "Parent Meddling"

quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
No parent has the right to tell me how to coach my team. No parent has the right to distract me from my job before after or during a game or practice. Parents do have the right to talk to me in private about concerns they have about their child. I respect that right and I am more than willing to address their concerns. When it comes to how we perform cut plays or when we bunt or who we decide to play etc that is the coaches decision and no one elses. If a parent has a problem with their sons playing time or development I am more than willing to meet with them and talk with them about (their son) and their concerns. But as far as how we coach the game they do not have the right to address these issues with me or anyother coach on our staff. No more than I have the right to go to there place of work and tell them how to do their job. If they want to sit in the stands and play arm chair quarterback that is their right if they choose to do so. I could careless. But I would never entertain a conversation with a parent about how we cut the ball etc. When I have to resort to getting advice from the parents in the stands on how to coach my team I need to find another job. There are many parents of players that are very knowledgable about the game of baseball. There are parents that have played baseball at all levels of the game. And some of these parents may have kids that play in programs that have not so knowledgeable coaches I assume. This has to be a tough situation Im sure for the parents. If you can not handle the situation by staying out of it and supporting the team the best solution is to find the kid a quality program to play in. Trying to coach the coach will never work. But this is just my opinion and how I see it. There might be HS programs in other areas where the coach would welcome some help. JMO. But if this is the case should he really be coaching HS baseball in the first place?

Great post. Coach is in charge and not afraid to talk about it.