Skip to main content

Reply to "Parent Meddling"

These threads that talk about parent meddling, playing time, etc. always confound me. Perhaps I am confused because of my experiences playing sports. From playing football from 4th grade until I graduated, wrestling from 7th grade until I graduated, playing ice hockey from birth through college, in all those years, I can not remember one time that my parents ever talked to my coaches about anything... I don't even have any recollection or knowledge of ANY player's parents complaining to coaches about their kid's playing time.

It may have happened, but I was blind to it. For that matter, as a player, I knew why a kid was starting in front of me and never remember a better kid sitting on the bench while a lesser player started. Has so much changed?

I would have been MORTIFIED if my parents had complained about my playing time or even worse if they approached the coach about play calling or strategy. Good grief!

I earned my playing time and I expect my sons to do the same. If the coach feels that other kids should start ahead of my sons, so be it. It provides the opportunity for my son's to work harder and learn from it. If they want to discuss playing time or plays with the coach, then I encourage it, but I will NEVER interfere in that relationship. The only time I would say anything to a coach is if I felt my son could be harmed or injured. Other than that, let the coaches, coach. JMO.