Skip to main content

Reply to "Parent Meddling"

This is just my opinion and it is not meant in anyway to suggest that those who do not do it this way are wrong. In practice I get after it. I coach my butt off. First of all I teach something and make sure that the kids understand what we want them to do. Then we constantly reinforce it. I challenge kids to work hard concentrate and put forth 100% in practice. If they do not hustle or they fail to execute properly I let them know right away. I want them to practice at game speed and I want them to practice with a sense of urgency. I do not yell at physical mistakes. I will ream them for fundemental mistakes that they have been drilled in and properly taught. I will ream them for not getting after it. I will ream them for hanging their head after making an error. All this is practice mentality. When its game day I want a relaxed atmosphere , I want their attention to be on executing like they have practiced. I never yell during a game for mistakes. I call them over one on one and tell them what they did wrong and tell them not to worry about it and make the next play. I want them concentrating on making the next play not me. I want them to focus on the next opportunity not me. Game day is time for making plays and finding a way to win a game not me. I prepare them to win and then get out of the way and allow them to win. Sure you make bunt calls or steal calls line up moves etc. But Im a firm believer that no kid has ever make an error on purpose. Ripping them during a game in my opinion only adds to the pucker factor. JMO