Skip to main content

Reply to "Parent Meddling"

quote:
Originally posted by Coach May:
This is just my opinion and it is not meant in anyway to suggest that those who do not do it this way are wrong. In practice I get after it. I coach my butt off. First of all I teach something and make sure that the kids understand what we want them to do. Then we constantly reinforce it. I challenge kids to work hard concentrate and put forth 100% in practice. If they do not hustle or they fail to execute properly I let them know right away. I want them to practice at game speed and I want them to practice with a sense of urgency. I do not yell at physical mistakes. I will ream them for fundemental mistakes that they have been drilled in and properly taught. I will ream them for not getting after it. I will ream them for hanging their head after making an error. All this is practice mentality. When its game day I want a relaxed atmosphere , I want their attention to be on executing like they have practiced. I never yell during a game for mistakes. I call them over one on one and tell them what they did wrong and tell them not to worry about it and make the next play. I want them concentrating on making the next play not me. I want them to focus on the next opportunity not me. Game day is time for making plays and finding a way to win a game not me. I prepare them to win and then get out of the way and allow them to win. Sure you make bunt calls or steal calls line up moves etc. But Im a firm believer that no kid has ever make an error on purpose. Ripping them during a game in my opinion only adds to the pucker factor. JMO

Coach May, On game day, if you have a kid not run out a ball or hang his head or not get after it, do you just act casual? Do you quietly call a player over and mention to him that he forgot to run out a ground ball?