Skip to main content

Reply to "parental pitching injuries"

Last year 0f my youth coaching career, not only was I throwing BP regularly to my regular season players and my all star team (We went pretty deep so the season lasted from mid February when we started practices into late July, when we finally got bounced -- so it was a very long one) but my son would want to hit more -- sometimes for an hour or even two -- after ever game in which he didn't hit well.  Like an idiot, I threw and threw and threw.    Didn't need surgery, but it took awhile for my shoulder (not elbow) to recover from all that..   

Glad the kid has finally moved beyond me.   Glad to be watching from the sidelines.   After he moved beyond rec league, they asked me to coach a couple of times, even though I didn't have a son in the league.   Thought hard about it.  It would have been fun, I think, to coach a team w/out my own kid on it.   No possible accusations of playing daddy ball and all that.  But memories of my aching shoulder and advancing age made me say no -- though I was definitely flattered that they bothered to ask me a couple of years running.