Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents and College Coaches"

@Francis7 posted:

.....................................................................................

The question is - should there be contact between parents and the coach? Is that the norm? I'm thinking that the coach doesn't want to know who I am. But, at the same time, I don't want to insult him by never saying a word to him for 4 years.

What is/was your experience?

My experience was that we introduced ourselves freshman year then quickly faded into the background.  By attending games, the coaches knew who we were.   Contact beyond "hello" was always on their terms because that is what my son wanted.  Once in a blue moon, we'd have an extended in person conversation on a road trip or a home stand.   Those conversations were never about the team or any baseball operations.  The conversations were typically about family and people we knew in common.

At the beginning of every year or prior to the first conference series, the HC would arrange for one of the player families (or alumni) to sponsor a dinner at their house or country club.   Those dinners were the times that I really got to know the people working with my son every day, specifically his pitching coach.   My son worshipped that guy. 

Again, just my experience.  Best of luck to your son in the coming weeks!

W