Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents and College Coaches"

I had two conversations with head coach after son got to school. One he walked by me at a hotel at an away game and I said "today was good" (we got a win) and he said something along the lines of "wasn't as bad as last week" (a game we lost).

Second was on the field senior night when he shook my hand and said, maybe we'll do this again next year, cause son didn't know if he was going back to school.

And one conversation with pitching coach where he told me what a great job my son did after giving up like six home runs in a single game.

Our school email addresses were all "myUI" — I told son from very beginning he should consider it "ourUI." I read his email and gave him direction on following up with his advisor, academic/baseball advisor, etc. I tried to read the baseball ones but it was a lot of analytics that I didn't understand, so I skipped those.

We did have a mom's chat group (literally all mom's) where the team mom stayed in touch with travel manager and arranged hotel blocks, updates on team travel dates, game schedules, etc., and could refer parents to the right person if they felt they needed to talk to a coach. I felt like it wasn't that they didn't want to talk to us, they just didn't want to answer questions like "are you going to auction off the pink jerseys after the beat cancer game next week?'

It was a good system. Both son and I got what we needed.