Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents and College Coaches"

@cabbagedad posted:

I feel sorry for y'all.  My wife and I used to get personal letters all the time from our son's coaches.  They would tell us in great detail all about how they thought the team would do that year, how they were looking to improve the facilities, how important we were to them and asked if we wanted to buy a Christmas tree.  ... or play in a golf tournament.   ... or, heck, just write a check.  Nuthin' but love.  Every year.   

Seriously though, programs had a meet and greet event (wait, that was a fundraiser too!?!?).  If you showed up at games and waited to see your son afterwards, it wasn't uncommon to run into and engage in some small-talk with coaches.

We got the letters with forecasts too, when school started and at Christmas break and at end of season, as well as weekly notes recapping the week. I kept them all, so after the second year realized the letters were essentially the same as previous years, and the weekly notes were the same stats that they provided to the college newspaper for their stories.

To some degree, I think that's all a good thing. If we had NEEDED the coaches, I think they would have been there for us. We didn't need them to do anything other than coach our son and give him the chances to play that he earned.