Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents and Recruiting"

This is a very good question and will get different answers but what baseballtoday say pretty much sums it up in my opinion. There are those that say get involved and some say back off and let the son make that decision on their own. I personally think the parent should be involved. When my son was being recruited I would organize recruiting mail and evaluate offers and analyze rosters trying to determine fit. There will be a lot of issues to discuss and weigh on the part of the student/athlete. I also think the parent(s) should accompany their son on the campus visits. Most students have concerns that differ from the parents. Students will ask about the male-female ratio and whether the team wears fitted hats while the parents will ask questions like how much is the tuition and should he sign a 9 month or a 12 month lease on his apartment. I’m not suggesting the parent select the school or the program but do help them (and yourself) in the selection process. You also need to locate the closest ATM machine because that will be your direct link to your son during his college years. Big Grin
Fungo.