Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents and Recruiting"

Well, after a couple of years in college my son ended up "back in the market" after electing to tranfer. I've been the one to make phone calls, coordinate information, make sure paperwork is transmitted, etc. etc. etc. In a sense I've been his agent (unfortunately without the accompanying commission). I saw my role a being a facilitator in getting his name back out there. His mother and I also tried to look beyond the criteria that my son would initially use in evaluating college choices.

At that point, though, it was his decision. We did give him some preferences due to financial realities, but told him we would do our best to help him attend the school of his choice.

I know he could have handled this stuff on his own. However, being able to help in this process was something any of us, as parents, would want to do. If he'd said to "back off "I'd have done so.

Now, I'm sure some coaches have preferences as to how much involvement they want from the parents. Ultimately we parents are not the ones "going to work" for the coach. We're not the ones that move to a new "home", go to class, etc. However, as long as we're providing financial support we should have some input into the process.