Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents call cops on coach, coach arrested"

PitchingFan posted:

You still have not answered the question and it appears you were there and had a vested interest in the coach.  Did the coach lay his hands on the kid?  Simple question. 

PitchingFan, of course, you know the answer to your own question and I get what you're saying.  But, it's just not that simple.  

I meant to state in my previous response, I did not actually see this particular instance and so my comments were in general and not meant to assess right or wrong for the story in question.

However...  I went to a local JC game yesterday.  I went to support a previous player and some of his former HS teammates that I coached showed up as well, as did a teacher/mom-of-player from the school I where I coached.  For each of these players, there was "touching".  A hug or two, a friendly slug in the arm, a teasing tug on a particularly long pony tail, etc.  For each of the players mentioned, had they pulled a stunt like the player in the story, and they refused to leave the batters box, I would be inclined to make sure they did.  It may have included an arm behind the back leading them off.  I could envision the hand leading up to the back of the neck, not in what I would consider anything remotely abusive but making sure they knew the direction they needed to go and immediately.  Unfortunately, in my "pendulum swung too far" scenario, there are those in society today that are so extremely sensitive and offended by the idea of touch, they scream bloody murder for something previously considered completely appropriate for the situation.

I had a lengthy conversation with the aforementioned teacher.  She is loved by 99% of the student body.  She, too, is very enthusiastic and very hands on with hugs, pats of encouragement, an occasional friendly "get outta here" shove, etc.  She expressed great concern with this very same thing.  She recently came under scrutiny for completely harmless, well-intentioned contact.  IMO, touch is important to human interaction.  These days, people are being conditioned to fear touch of any kind.  You can't just say "did the coach lay a hand on him?" and have a black and white answer.  Again, the pendulum has swung too far.

Last edited by cabbagedad