Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents call cops on coach, coach arrested"

CABBAGEDAD, not arguing the fact.  I am a pastor so I have to watch everything.  Counseling, touching, hugs, words, you name it.  Teacher's fears X 100.  But as a coach, I was also intentional also to be careful how I interacted with my players and parents.  We live in a society where there is a fine line between discipline and abuse.  My wife works for social services so we have this discussion all the time and I must admit my view has changed a little with all the stories of kids abuse that she brings home and lives with every day. 

Life4Orce says the coach did nothing wrong.  I have a hard time believing nothing wrong.  I believe he, like most of us who have coached, was wrong but to what degree.  After checking up on the coach and watching video of him coaching, talking I would say he is a guy who is old school, tightly wound, and probably used a little too much force to get his point across, whether it was good or bad.  Again, he may have been trying to keep the kid from getting into trouble and getting ejected but I strongly doubt he did nothing wrong.  Just to what extent. 

I reckon I go back to the good old days when I was first officiating football 30 years ago and a coach grabbed a kid, who had been pushed out of bounds at the 1 yard line and into a wire that ran around the field, by the facemask and  kicked him in the rear end and told him if he had scored he would not have gotten thrown into the wire.  I threw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct and had to write the coach up.  I still to this day do not understand how he kept his job.  He treated that kid like a dog and because he won games was accepted.  When I say the bad ones, that is the ones I am referring to.  You can't win enough games to treat people that way.

I will also say there is appropriate discipline, and I dished that out, and there is inappropriate discipline.