Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents......don't be "that guy""

There are 2 seniors at our local 6A Texas HS that have gone under recruited (for a number of reasons). The families of these 2 players have asked me to help them find a place to play college ball so I have been attending a lot of games this spring. I sit in the visiting team fan section to avoid conversations I don’t want to have as this particular HS is notorious for obnoxious, over involved parents that are experts on baseball. After a game a couple weeks ago I got a call from the grandfather of one of the players I’m helping. He sits in the home team parent section and was calling to tell me that a bunch of parents were talking about me during the game - which isn’t unusual, but what was unusual was the topic of their conversation. According to these 6 parents I am a pro scout that was in attendance to evaluate their sons b/c the MLB draft was coming up soon. I mean, what a joke of a take !  I’m well known as a baseball guy in our community but it’s also well know that Im not a MLB scout. And for those parents to believe that any player on that field would attract the attention of a MLB scout goes to show how delusional some parents are about their kids’ abilities. There are 4 or 5 good JuCo prospects on that team but nothing beyond that. When it comes to HS baseball so many people just believe what they WANT to be the truth.