Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents of Pitchers, Redux"

@adbono posted:

Baseball is a metaphor for life and it isn’t always fair. That’s a lesson that everyone has to learn. It’s also true that some kids can work very hard and it doesn’t always translate into becoming a better player. It’s highly possible that your son isn’t as good as the players that you think are getting preferential treatment. But then again, maybe he is. There are a lot of things that play a big factor that are out of everyone’s control - like genetics. This is an opportunity for your son to assume responsibility for his own baseball experience. I suggest that he talk to his coach about it. As long as he is respectful in his approach he should gain respect from the coach for standing up for himself. View it as life training. Maybe it helps the situation and maybe it doesn’t. But it should help build confidence no matter the outcome.  In no event should you do anything. Any action by you will cause the coach AND his teammates to lose respect for your son.

First off, my kid is and has been a very competitive pitcher. ERA has never been higher than 2.7 but he isn’t the only kid not getting jerked around. There are about 5 other kids. Several parents have asked why my son isn’t pitching. The kids on the field have also mentioned things on the dugout, so at least everyone is on the same page. I will let my son handle handle it but we also can’t wait for summer ball to start because this HS season has been crap for several kids.