Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents of Pitchers, Redux"

I, like RJM and many others here, are on the back side of this. I can remember being EXTREMELY anxious watching my kid pitch. He was always mostly successful. He has always been a strike thrower for the most part. I think you just want your kid to do well. Pitching is tough as there is no place to hide. You start every play. You are standing in the middle of the field on an elevated piece of dirt. Over the years I have gotten better. I still want him to do well every time he takes the ball. The stakes are much higher now as it’s how he earns a living. But I have come to grips with the fact that he is trying his best. Of this I am 100% confident. I wish I had come to grips with that reality years ago. When / If he doesn’t have his best result, I can guarantee you he beats himself up WAY more than you do. I’ve learned to talk baseball only when he leads the conversation. I’m there for moral support and to enjoy watching him do something that I NEVER had the ability to do. When you take that perspective, you realize that there are thousands of people who would trade places with him, whatever level your kid is at. Baseball is hard. The only sport I know of that has 3x failure than success. To all you parents of HS kids, my best advice is to enjoy the experience as best you can. You cannot control what coaches do. The best advice I can give is to tell your kid to worry about the things he can control. In the end, his talent and work ethic will win out. If the ability is there, the opportunity will present itself. That’s when he has to be ready to grab it with both hands and run. Outwork the competition. If baseball isn’t the future, that attitude will pay multiples in the business world.