Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents vs. Coach: Battle goes wild...."

One of my memories as a high school football player; the team was all weight lifting (mandatory) just after the season ended. The head football coach came into the weight room and started polling the players, individually by name, in a BIG BOOMING voice if we're playing football next year. Coach got to a then junior, 3 sports, 2 year varsity letterman, which was our stud tailback. This kid had an athletic gift. This guy, just to be a smart @ss started his answer with “well, I don’t know coach…” That's all he got out of his mouth before he was shown the door. Shame, he never played his senior year. Our team went on to win conference (there wasn’t a state playoff or tournaments back then, dating myself), coach went on to be the defensive line coach for the Buffalo Bills, and our QB went on to be the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings.

It was his way or the highway… The parents were there to booster and raise money. No one would have dared intervene let alone discuss playing time???????

Wait until “the loves of their lives” comes home to meet the parents and ask for their daughters hand…..
Last edited by Smokey