Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents vs. Coach: Battle goes wild...."

Yeah - I had the same reaction - to write a letter to the coach in support. That school is in our league, and has had its fill of racial strife the last few years also. Sounds like a leadership problem.

I also thought the key to the article was the mention of SUMMER TEAMS and the sense of entitlement based on performance, or someone else's perception of the talent level (perhaps based on how much money they pay). And then I thought about it in relation to baseball. I know of key performers on elite summer teams who are recruited by D1 programs but who get little or no playing time due to local high school politics. I also have seen parents of elite summer team players b%#ch and moan when their supposedly elite player is on the JV's, because of a sense of entitlement from their summer team play. And I'm sure you all know of players who have been "stars" on Little League, Babe Ruth, Pony, etc., but then get to high school and can't compete or get beat out by better players, and who become embittered by their whole experience, egged on by parents who start a cancerous whispering campaign behind the coach's back. Either way, baseball is not immune to the problems of basketball.