Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents vs. Coach: Battle goes wild...."

quote:
Our youth can no longer be told what to do, when to do it, and that they are wrong

But the funny part is I feel the kids can handle the truth it's the parents who have issues. Back when I coached I always subscribed to the thought that "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". My first team meeting I always told the players that this team is "family" and you can talk up your family to who ever will listen, but if you have a family problem you bring it up with the family. The kids loved that analogy as it was on of their first experiences with a little independence from mom/dad. On the other side I also had a parent mtg and let them in about what I told the kids and my reasoning. Then followed up that if they had an issue during the year they should schedule some time with me and not involve the kids in an adult "mis-understanding".

It worked like a charm and for the ten years I activily coached 3 sports I had no parental issues that lingered and only one that made me think Smile. A cute single mom who knew my wife was working out of town came up to me after a game and asked what I was doing that weekend. Kind of taken back and my ego pumped to the max, I asked why. She then asked me in a sultry, pleading whisper, "Can you watch my kids so I can go out of town with my boyfriend"?

Sorry about the goofy story but I have always thought that it was just as important that coaches keep an open line of communication with parents as well as players. Today I feel that many of those coaches who have constant issues do not follow this line of thinking and may only be living their dream and missing the real reason for coaching.
Last edited by rz1