Skip to main content

Reply to "Parents vs. Coach: Battle goes wild...."

quote:
But the problem I have with this article is I suspect it doesn't tell us everything we should know.

Are you suggesting there might be two sides to this story justbb Smile

Look, the parents' attorney was quoted directly in this story. Here is the case made by the attorney:

quote:
"This is to get away from all the 'He said, she said,' " Friesen says. "This is meant to be support for everyone.'' Attorney Andrew Sweet, who is speaking for the parents, said the program was out of control last year. "These kids were coming home from practices and leaving games crying," Sweet says.

Sweet admitted that Nibarger wasn't screaming at the players, playing favorites or subjecting them to physical abuse. It was more a matter of "communication" and "utter vindictiveness.'' That sounded pretty vague, so Sweet went back to the parents and came up with some specific allegations.

Sweet says Nibarger once threw the girls out of the gym when a practice was not going well. (The parents' group says it was 45 minutes early; Nibarger says it was "10 to 15.'') She didn't attend picture day. (Neither do other Castro Valley coaches.) She cut the playing time of anyone who complained about her coaching decisions. (She's proud of her record of playing 9 to 10 players a game.) Once, Sweet says, Nibarger was in a restaurant, saw the players and left without saying anything. (She says she wanted to respect the privacy of what appeared to be a players-only meeting.) So?

Where's the beef Mr. Sweet?

If that is the case they (the parents) are making, then they come out of this looking poorly at best. Even worse are the school officials. If you are suggesting the story misquoted the attorney (or left some of his arguments out), then I suspect we'll be hearing that side very soon.

BTW - we hear all these jokes about left coast politics and this school is ironically named Castro Valley.