Skip to main content

Reply to "Participation trophies make kids soft"

I once had a dentist whom I didn't think of as being much of a sports fan.

In our town, the league I ran (1000+ kids) had banners all over town, "Hometown Youth Baseball - Everybody Plays!"

One day I'm sitting in the chair getting a cavity filled or something like that.  This dentist, kind of a nerdy guy, is carrying on a distracting conversation with me and it comes up that I'm the President of that league.

"Oh yeah - 'Everybody plays'!!"

"Yup, thats us."

"Well, you wanna know what I think?  I think thats a silly slogan.  Whats wrong with kids learning earlier rather than later that baseball may not be their thing?"

I dunno guys - I always played on teams that came in 2nd or lower through childhood.  I got one...ONE...trophy for one of those 2nd place finishes.  Somehow I survived it.

I'm an intensely competitive person.  Its helped me achieve a lot in my own professional career.  So is my wife (thank goodness!).  And my kids too.  Maybe that lack of trophies motivated me?  Or maybe it made no difference either way?  But somehow, I survived a childhood with ONE 2nd place trophy and a mother and father that told me the truth (lovingly) about my own performance at school and on the field.   My kids got the same.

As a 50+ year old, I'm pretty happy with all of that.

Last edited by justbaseball