Skip to main content

Reply to "Participation trophies make kids soft"

Originally Posted by chefmike7777:
Originally Posted by Matt13:
Originally Posted by chefmike7777:

Stats, you make a good point. Varsity letters are much like participation trophies to some extent. I get frustrated when non sports get varsity letters but then all of my kids play sports. That is atopic for another day and usually becomes REALLY heated on both sides

Why shouldn't non-sports get letters?

Just my opinion. I think that you should have to earn a varsity letter. Tryout and participate a certain amount. In my kids school, there are non sporting groups, that if you want on, you are on. There is no try out, every one participates that wants to. Every one gets a varsity letter For those, I don't think there should be a varsity letter in that case

So I guess how I feel is not necessarily sports v non sports. For instance. If they try out for the debate team, there is truly a tryout and those that actually debate get a varsity letter but those that are on team but do not get to participate against others or are "cut" do not  get one. There are sports at my kids school where everyone that tryouts makes it- Track for example, but they have criteria of how to earn a letter. That is true of every sport that I know of at the school. Not so much with non sports.

I think getting a varsity letter should be like getting a championship trophy  - earned. Right now at the school I cheer for, it is more like a participation trophy for non sports clubs

Never heard of those. In our district, HS's give letters to Varsity athletes, and for academics (3.5 average, I think)  Nothing else.  But stats is right - you make the team, and get on the field, you  get a letter.