Skip to main content

Reply to "Participation trophies make kids soft"

Originally Posted by Go44dad:

I run a recreational basketball league w @ 700 kids in it.  From 5-17, boys and girls - but probably 80% of the kids between 7 and 12.  Also with a challenger division.  Younger group gets trophies or medals across the board, older groups medals for first/second only. If  you play AAU, Middle or High School basketball, you are not allowed in the league.  It's a rec league.  For many of the younger kids, it's the only team sport they will ever play.  I've seen the joy and excitement when they walk out holding their trophy.

If you think that I have added to the softness of their generation, so be it.

If you guys think it's better, I can re-allocate the budget this upcoming season, skip the trophies and bring in some old crotchety guys to yell at them and call them wussies.

Awesome post!  I believe you are doing the right thing.  You are providing a positive environment for kids that may need that self confidence.  Some of these kids don't have the most positive role models, athletically, socially, ethically, etc.  So giving them the opportunity to build some self confidence is great.