Skip to main content

Reply to "PATIENCE!!!!"

I came on here to post something along these lines so I will join in the advice to be patient and calm.

There are many, many different and good opportunities to find the right baseball and academic fit. Some will be fortunate and find their match right away, but others will have to dig deeper, and wait.

There are treasures out there just waiting to be discovered. Gradually this process helps your son define his priorities and make some very adult choices, that still all involve a certain amount of guessing and hoping that things turn out well.

On July 8th of his junior year summer, when others had their official visits lined up, my son had received, I believe, 2 calls--and neither one was on July 1st! He didn't get invited on an official visit until the fall of his senior year. He never DID have an official visit at the school he now attends. He researched programs that had a combination of strong academics and good baseball, which was the combination which was important to him, and sent emails, made a video, kept in touch with the coaches who were interested. He got some preliminary interest from a few programs and then heard nothing further. The programs he considered the most seriously were those with whom he established contact in the fall and even winter of senior year.

His process of finding the right program took many months and his final choice was made on April 29th of his senior year, just two days before the May 1 deadline to reply to admissions offices.

As luck and good fortune (and hard work Wink ) would have it, he is now playing at a D1 and learning so much. But I remain convinced that he would have had a wonderful college experience at any one of the 4 or 5 programs he very seriously considered at the end.

The keys I think are a lot of research, persistence, patience, and faith that the right match will be found. Best of luck to everyone, and yes--patience!!