Skip to main content

Reply to "PATIENCE!!!!"

Actually I don't want my son to experience what I did. I went to a school and graduated with a 3.5. Majored in Accounting and I will admit the economy was bad in 1983. Jobs were scarce. I eventually got my CPA license and applied to a company and made it through all the preliminary interviews. I finally had to meet the partner of the Auditing firm. Arthur Anderson (done now thanks to Enron) had a partner I met and we had a good talk. He told me right there that his firm would not hire a person from a school smaller than a MAC (small D1). I asked him why. He told me that they wanted you to have the social interaction (contacts). Well in the accounting field most large companies want people that have Big 3 (was Big 8) experience. So it does limit your future in that professional to a degree. You can get around it by going to graduate school. I am in no way saying the education at a small school is not as good because it is good. Its the view that some companies have. I lived through this and I saw the views. I own my own businees too now and I know that business owners sometimes see and think broader than corporate HR people. Im not saying your wrong either but I know what I went through and I want better for my son.
Last edited by Baller26