Skip to main content

Reply to "PAY FOR PLAY POLL"

quote:
I have heard that because of lack of state funding some schools charge for hs sports

You're right. We have to pay a fee of $300. Everyone pays once the team is selected. Has nothing to do with playing time - it has to do with getting a uniform. The money pays for umpires, security guard (required by law), bus drivers and gas for away games, etc. But it's pretty easily covered by sponsorships (Outfield banners, ads in the media guide, etc.) so very few parents pay all of it out of their pockets, and most get their share completely covered. No one pays more - I don't think any of our parents have the kind of cash that it would take to "buy" playing time.

Would they if they did, and would it work? We share a field with the football team. If someone were to donate the land and build us a new facility, and just happened to have a marginal player, who knows? If I were the coach, I might find a unie for him, but he wouldn't be a starter unless he earned it. The school administration might force the issue and take it out of the coach's hands, which is another story altogether.
Last edited by 2Bmom