Skip to main content

Reply to "PAY FOR PLAY POLL"

Our school must just be lucky. I know there's moaning and groaning that goes on when it comes to money. But for the most part, our coaches get what they ask for. Our Booster Club covers all of the sports. They have two main fundraisers; one in the late summer/early fall and another in the late winter/early spring. Then they do concessions and a couple other things throughout the year. The Booster Club pitches in with some expensive stuff that teams need. I know last year they bought a $300 football helmet because that was the only choice there was for a kid to be able to play. He had suffered a few concussions and needed a more advanced helmet. They bought the AD a golf cart a couple years ago. I think the Booster Club buys the baseball team two new bats each spring.

The athletes all pay $45 per sport, but the school district put a cap of $110 per family per year. I kind of wonder what our athletic budget looks like. It seems like there is always someone getting new uniforms or something pretty big. The school pays for the buses; teams don't have to do that.

Sports used to get t-shirts that the Booster Club would pay for. They did away with that a few years ago which was complained about of course. But it makes sense why they did what they did. The money that was being spent on t-shirts now pays to have a certified athletic trainer from a local Physical Therapy/Sports Medicine clinic come 3-4 times a week and he travels with the varsity football team.

I can't say that we have the greatest facilities. There's many things that could be done to make things better. Another field maybe?? I think CoachB25 would agree, though, that we have a pretty nice field. My dad said when we joined our current conference, we had the nicest field in the conference. Several schools have upgraded since then and are right around the middle. We don't have lights, but they don't want lights either though we've had a couple games where it'd be nice to have them.

Like I said, we must be pretty lucky.