Skip to main content

Reply to "PAY FOR PLAY POLL"

Bulldog - as for girls being a revenue sport I guess it would come down to the school and community and how good the team is. I live in a basketball community and we only have one school in the system. So there is no sharing of money by other schools. Everyone comes out to the games and pays admission. Our boys teams make money like crazy and they actually pay for the umpires of baseball and softball.

Our girls team will make money (not a lot but finishes in the black) if they are good. If they are bad then they usually break even or finish just in the red. They basically pay for themselves.

Our football team is horrendous - haven't won a game in 2 years - but they usually break even or finish just in the red.

What hurts us in terms of money is we use a community park and cannot charge admission and the concession is ran by the park. We get very little from them for gate and concession. So there is a huge chunk of money gone right now.

Another thing that hurts is we have no industry in our county. Our tax base is very small because it's all farming and undeveloped land. So our small community is sucked dry by all the various organizations at the school. That is a huge reason why I am against a flat rate even if it applies to the entire team. I doubt we could sell enough ads each year for the entire team. For us it wouldn't work.

I know I operate on a budget of around $3000 each year. I drive my own bus and umps are taken care of so that helps a lot.

Some of the things you said Bulldog really surprise me - don't get new baseballs every year really catches me off guard. So when you start a game do you just throw in dirty balls or not quite white balls? Our umps throw balls out when they get dirt on them and we just rub until you can see the white again and throw them back in.