Skip to main content

Reply to "Pay It Forward Recruiting Advice from a 2019 Mom"

Great thread!  I just went through this for both of my sons this year.  One is a 2019 HS graduate, the other is a 2019 college grad with 1 year of baseball eligibility left.  The "wide net" still applied even for a grad transfer. Be creative in how you connect with coaches.  The grad-transfer did email coaches and did get many responses, but his biggest source of coaches was Twitter.  Not only utilizing Flatground, but he also searched Twitter for baseball coaches and would follow them.  He had approximately a 30% rate of coaches following him back, when then opened the door for him to DM them about the school and the program.  He used his Twitter account as a "highlight" reel where coaches could see who he was as a student, a baseball player and his work ethic.  The offer he ended up accepting was from a coach at an ACC program that followed him back on Twitter!

It also can't be said enough, find a school that checks all the boxes, not just the baseball box.  My oldest found this out the hard way.  He loved the baseball coach and the team, but when he was red-shirted his freshman year and was left behind for road trips, he realized how much he really didn't like the school and the campus.   

One final thing I would like to add is that parents need to work with and teach their children how to have a conversation with a coach.  My youngest son is a quiet one and helping him through knowing what questions to ask a coach and preparing him for the types of questions coaches ask.   It helped him find a school that he feels checks all of his boxes.