Skip to main content

Reply to "Pay It Forward Recruiting Advice from a 2019 Mom"

@DanJ posted:

If you have the appetite and time, you'll find almost everything you need within HSBBW.  What it is it NOT, is laid out perfectly ready to follow to a T.  Every recruiting journey is unique/different, so trying to mimic someone else's is usually a recipe for disappointment.  You will find things that worked wonders for another kid who is nearly identical to your kid, that don't do a thing for you.  So don't chase that ghost.  If you put in the time and cast as wide a net as possible (by experimenting with LOTS of approaches), your son's recruiting journey will likely contain small pieces from 100 other previous recruiting journeys.

If that vague/high level advice leaves you unsatisfied, I'll throw one more out there that will likely leave you equally unsatisfied.  If you and your son sincerely feel he's doing everything (or more than everyone else) to get bigger, stronger and faster...   you're wrong.  Go ask any player/parent if their kid is doing more than others to get bigger, stronger and faster and 99%+ won't hesitate - absolutely!  Even in a classroom full of straight A students, one of those straight A students is the dumbest of the bunch.  If you can't PROVE you're bigger, stronger and faster with tangible/measurable results, you're not bigger, stronger or faster.

As my kids were growing up I told them a lot of kids and parents are going to find out the hard way it’s a nasty, competitive world on the other side of Townline Road. The parents will no longer have any control over how the kids are treated or the ability to negotiate advantages for them.

My son’s LL team went to states when he was eleven. A kid outside our league zone said he was going to play in our league the next year. He told everyone his father would make it happen. It was what the kid expected from experience. Of course his father couldn’t make it happen. But this was nothing compared to the slap in the face this kid got when he headed off for college ball and dad couldn’t make it happen anymore.

Last edited by RJM