Skip to main content

Reply to "PBR ??"

TPM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
Jlr58 posted:

While attending a camp at a D1 here in Missouri the recruiting coordinator made the comment that he looks at PBR and PG everyday .  He said that they utilize these sites for leads and for the most part agree with their general observation's in most cases. Made a point to emphasize that they do not sign anyone from 3rd party information or video but it is one data point they use to vet their watch list .  This hit home with my son. 

Interesting...  At a pretty well known ACC school camp recently the hc said they might use the recruiting services to lookup a players email address if they already know abt a player, but they do not use or trust their analyses. In his words, their livelihoods depend on recruiting good players and they do not rely on 3rd parties.

I think a lot has to do with geography and where you are looking to recruit.  I am pretty sure many well known ACC coaches do use PG information.  

This was my original post.  I did say geographically areas are different and do things diffetently.

My son is a D2 coach in Florida.  He looks through PG info regularly for players that fit his program.  He was a student assistant last year for Clemson.  FWIW, the power conference programs in the southeast actually recruit more from top travel teams, and attend PG high profile tournaments to watch them play against national competition. They may ask players to come to their camp because the NCAA doesn't allow them face to face contact.  

Just remember that this is a business, the more contacts you have in the business, the more info you have at your disposal to recruit.

You live in a different area, so I cant say whether they recruit diffetently. Just remember that coaches from the north recruit from the north and coaches from the south recruit from the south. Same for midwest. California a bit different.

Now for my response about camps. NCAA rules only allow a certain amount of paid coaches. So coaches run camps to make money to help provide a salary for the volunteer coaches.  Some camp programs are very good at teaching skills, it's a good experience for many.  But here in this part of the world, most don't rely on a camp to recruit a player. A lot of things go into the recruiting process who will be a good fit for your particular program.  All coaches have different objectives and their own unique set of issues.

While I understand what you are saying, in my own personal experience with son, he was found by the college recruiter of Clemson at Jupiter wood bat tourney.

I know from Jerry Ford (PGstaff), Kevin O'Sullivan did contact them about son during the year he was recruiting son. 

Also, understand that some programs are much richer than others, so going to, let's say CA from a southeast power program to see a player can do that because they have a larger budget. And college head recruiters do get paid to coach and recruit.

And one more thing, I have always said that one does not have to spend a lot of money to get a scholarship. Always. It takes a lot of planning.

Just remember a coach may tell you he recruits from camps because he more than likely knows that will open the door for you to come, if that's a priority on your sons list, go for it.

But how much can a coach learn about you from a camp?  

Also, PBR isn't as big here as in other places, but if I am going to have my son ranked amd rated, its gonna be wit the best company who will offer the best scouting there is.

Be a wise guy all you want, but first try to educate yourself on the ENTIRE process. I dont have to share any of this but I know some of it will help. You as well as others will figure it out on your own.

Any questions shoot a pm.

Last edited by TPM