Skip to main content

Reply to "PBR and Area Code Games"

@Consultant posted:

Francis;

did you attend the tryout? what is the background of your committee?

In the end result the pro scouts and College Coaches make their final selections based on personal experience. The Ocean is "full" of talent, now is the time to reduce the talent to a swimming pool.

Bob

PS: it would have been enjoyable to have you at the AC tryouts and have you explain what your eyes see.

My kid went to a trial.  I wasn’t there “to see” because of COVID - it was players only.  But, I saw the measurables afterwards and the kid did well.  Also saw the measurables of the other attendees.  No one at his position was tremendously better than him.

Kids were told at the very beginning “great that you are here, but, be advised that our rosters are 99% done already and the odds of something coming out of this for you are not good, no matter what you do here.”

Now, I am a realist and objective.  My kid is very good – and not great.  He’s got some incredible skills.  But, he also has some holes – as do many players.  He’s not Mike Trout or Bryce Harper.  But, that said, I know he’s better skilled and more talented than the two kids I have mentioned.  HOWEVER, there’s also MANY, MANY, kids better than my kid too, and they also were passed on in favor of the daddy influenced selections.

Just Cashman alone.  We know a kid in NJ – also a middle infielder, but, he’s a SS and not a 2B (like Cashman).  This kid is BIG and FAST.  He’s also got an incredible hit tool – average and power.  Throws extremely well too.  He’s a very good SS.  But, even if that doesn’t work out, his bat profiles to 3B or the OF.  I could easily see him being a standout in CF.  Like Cashman, he’s a 2022.  But, he’s not reclassed like Cashman.  He’s not old at all for his grade.  Oh, and, by the way, just so you know it’s not just me on the eval, he’s been a P5 commit since he was a sophomore in H.S.  He’s the real deal.  He was also at the trial with my son.  But, his dad is just a school teacher and not the GM of the Yankees.  So, the roster spot goes to Cashman.

This is just one SS from NJ.  I am sure there’s a lot more like him in the North East just as good who could have gotten that spot.

Last edited by Francis7